True Story No24


A rewarding move

When I moved away from the City Centre site of the Company I worked for, to another of their factories, I'd been there 20 years and in a further 5 years I would have been entitled to £50 for long service.

A colleague who also moved at the same time had been there 2 or 3 years longer.

We arrived at the Southern Outpost which was part of the same business and discovered they operated under a local set of rules. There, you had to work for 21 years to qualify for their long service award.

After waiting something under a year, I was duly informed that I had qualified for an award, not £50 but £500!

My colleague rang Personnel.

"When do I get my £500?", he asked. "You don't", was the response, "you have to be here at the anniversary of your 21 years service and you weren't". He was really fed up. He'd missed his £50 and now he'd missed the £500.

One didn't get cash however.

From some long since forgotten deal, each qualifying employee had to go to London and visit Harrods, where you picked out £500 pounds worth of goodies.

Usually, overcome with the occasion people usually picked out a daft thing like a glass bowl costing a small fortune so they could stand it on their sideboard and fill it with paperclips, nuts left over from Christmas and important bits of stuff that might come in useful one day.

I didn't fancy a glass bowl so I picked out really interesting things:-

a Philips communications receiver

an espresso coffee machine

a yoghurt maker

a set of rechargeable batteries (for the radio)

a practical manual on computer hacking

and a new bike

Eventually, after waiting ages, all the bits arrived at "Inwards Goods" and I was asked to collect them.

The bike had to be assembled as its pedals were loose and tied on with string and its handlebars twisted round for transport.

I wheeled it back to the office, borrowed a spanner and fixed it all up.

Next, I had to get it home.

This was a problem because bikes weren't allowed on site so I decided to leave at the usual knocking-off time and slip out un-noticed in the rush at 5 o'clock.

The main gate was open for the egress of Company cars so I pedalled furiously towards the gate and thought I'd made it but at the last moment a chap in uniform with sergeants stripes on the sleeves leapt out of the guardroom, sprinted across the road and grabbed my handlebars.

"You can't bring bikes on-site", he roared.

"I didn't", I said, a Harrods van brought it this afternoon.

"I don't care how it got here", he said, "you're not allowed on site with it, next time put it in the bike shed outside".

I did.

Philips Model D2935 bought from Harrods in 1986

For a description of this receiver click on its picture.







Return to stories page