As the years have rolled on by domestic entertainment equipment has become more and more difficult and expensive to repair.
Once upon a time a TV engineer usually removed the back of a TV and swapped a valve.
Then, with the advent of transistors, repairs became more difficult
When integrated circuits arrived things became more difficult again
Now with large scale integration it's unlikely that replacement chips will be available after a few years because of the advances in technology.
As I've passed the state retirement age and am a recipient of a pension I no longer have to fix domestic equipment to bring in cash
On the other hand, I still repair circuit boards for lifts and escalators (and the odd historic radio and modern computers of course). I sometimes fix other things as a favour. A Panasonic DB Radio/CD player from 2009 arrived yesterday (6th Feb 2015). It was dead and after removing no fewer than 40 screws , some hidden, I extracted the chassis (an hour later). Attached to this, mostly with sticky tape was the power supply. Inside its cover would you believe was a plug-in fuse. This was intact. Deeper inside I found a short-circuit diode marked S6-98. I fitted a 1N4005 and put in a new 1000uF capacitor adjacent to it. Clearly repair when the thing was designed must have been thought out of the question as labour costs will swamp its value.
There are still lots of circuit boards around in lift controllers that use transistors and early integrated circuits, and because the cost of replacing a lift controller can be as much as a new motor car there is still money to be made in this repair business.
Having made the decision to get rid of anything involved in the repair of TV sets, VCRs and modern audio equipment I have a lot more space in which to display my radio collection. shown here around two sides of my workshop.
When I started the website the best Internet speed was 56kbps and I was asked by visitors to make sure all the pictures were suitably small to download without an interminable wait, but times have changed and, with speeds in some locations over a thousand times better than this, high definition pictures will replace originals.
As the months pass I'll update the pictures and more will become visible (note.. all four sides of the old workshop are now used for the displays).
Pictures immediately below show the start of the reorganisation and further down some of the re-organised displays.
The first step in the workshop/museum overhaul was the purchase of more dexion, or to be more accurate its cheaper substitute made in Scotland. The first lot I bought over a year ago now supports the amateur radio transmitters and receivers. The second lot now carries several shelves in front of my double window. This also extended to shelves to replace some unsupported wood and heaps of radios piled on top of each other.
I then arranged equal height equipment on the latter, with a selection of sets including most of my Eddystone receivers, an AR88, an AR77, R206, R109 and ZC1 on the window shelves. The rear shelves now carry four R107 receivers and three AR88 receivers plus an assortment of others.
|That blue fronted equipment is a 3-phase mains generator which I use for testing industrial stuff. It's a trifle noisy because it needs a quarter horsepower 3-phase motor to be connected in parallel with a non-motor load. You'll note from the flag, it's made in Britain.|
Lots of tidying then more photos to follow... Components will get demoted in favour of more radios on display.