This radio, made in Holland
in 1928 or1929, looks more military in nature than domestic.
It measures about 20" by 11" x 9" and weighs more
than 45lbs (22kgm) being constructed from a steel frame infilled
with bakelite fastened by copper rivets. This material was known
under the trade-name "Arbolite"
There is a complex chassis carrying
five valves, including a pair of screened grid types with the
RF sections enclosed by steel covers; one over the valves and
the other over the tuning condenser.
At the left end is a heavy mains
transformer, the rectifier valve and the audio output valve.
The case is embellished with
copper decorative features and includes a lockable lid.
A useful feature is a pair of
metal strips on the underside of the lid for holding papers carrying
station logs. These were necessary in the days before dials marked
with transmitter names so that users could readily tune to the
program of their choice.
The tuning knob is at one end
of the case and the reaction control at the other. The ornate
dial escutcheon extends to include the keyhole for the lock and
a wavechange switch.
There's a safety feature, to
prevent electrocution of the user, consisting of a series of
levers connecting the right hand end of the lid to a mains on/off
switch, although in this example it has been disconnected.